It has occurred to me on more than one occasion that being a parent and being a writer have quite a bit in common. I can honestly say I am no expert at either but each shapes me in similar ways. Here are some of the shared traits I've noticed between the two:
1. Both roles take commitment, effort, energy, and love. Every day. Consistently.
2. They inspire happiness, sadness, joy, sorrow, laughter, and curiosity.
3. They can both wear you out without meaning to.
4. They require patience and an open mind.
5. You are going to make mistakes. You have to get over it, go back, and do better.
6. You may have to enlist the help of others; this is okay.
7. Sometimes, in both, the things you say won't be what you mean and sometimes the things you mean won't be what you say.
8. You are always learning. You are never done. You never know everything.
9. You always have more to give; it may not seem like it some days, but it's there, inside you.
10. You are ridiculously protective of both your child and your manuscript.
11. You have to be willing to accept flaws; nothing and no one is perfect.
12. They both require focus. Sometimes so much that you feel like your eyes will cross.
13. They can cause lack of sleep.
14. These roles both fill something inside you that nothing else could.
15. In both of these roles, letting go, even a little bit at a time, is not easy, but often necessary.
All Addison Cole Agency Mate A.J. Pine Amanda Heger Amara Amazon Am Writing Amy Trueblood Angel's Lake Appreciation Author Author Friends Author Interview Authors Awards A Way With Words A Writer Needs Balance BEA14 Becky Albertalli Behind The Scenes Belief Be Yourself Bliss Blog Hop Blogs Blog Tour Bonus Material Book 2 Book Blitz BookBub Book Deal Book News Book Release Books Busy Carly Phillips Caught Looking Chris Pratt Christmas Christmas Titles Cindi Madsen Co Author Co Authoring Co-authoring Coming Soon Complete Randomness Contest Contests Cover Reveal Cozy Mysteries Dahlia Adler Dangerous Love Dawn Ius Daylight Falls Draw Ebooks Editing Editors Elliot Email Entangled Entangled Bliss Entangled Publishing Entangled Under The Mistletoe Enter To Win Excerpt Excited Extra Faith Falling For Home Falling For Kate Family Fan Girling Father's Dday Forever Forgetful Friends In Many Places Friends To Lovers Fun Giveaway Giveaways Giving Back Goals Good News Grateful Gratitude Guest Blogs Happiness Harper St. George Holiday Reads Holiday Romance Holidays Hop Hope InD'tale Magazine Jaded Love Jennifer Blackwood Jennifer Shirk Jim Cangany Joanne Macgregor Jody Holford Julia A Webber Kara Leigh Miller Karma Brown Kat Colmer Kate Keep Believing Keep Going Keep Trying Keep Writing Kelly Siskind Kendrick Place Series Kensington Publishing Kids Books Kindle Learning Curve Lexi Lawton Life Lindsey Duga Listening Literary Agent Literary Counsel Looking Back Lori Foster Love Lovestruck Love Unexpected Meant To Be Mentor Michelle Hauck Moments Montlake More Than Friends Moving On Need To Write Networking New Beginnings New Release Newsletter New Year Novellas Office Parenting Parting Ways Penner Publishing Persona Perspective Picture Books #PitchWars Public Identity Publishing Publishing House Mate Publishing Mate Puppies Query Trenches Rafflecopter Rainbow Rowell Random Reading Rejection Rhyme Romance Romance Chicks RomCom Sale Self Pub Sequel Sequels Series Sexy And Sweet Shannyn Schroeder Short Stories Signed Paperbacks Small Press Sneak Peek Social Media Some Kind Of Christmas Song Lyrics Space Speechless Story Books Stuck In A Book Subjectivity Summer Summer Carnival Sun Vs. Snow Support Support Network Suspense Sweet Tasty Book Tours Teaching Thanks Thanksgiving Thank You The Bad Boy Next Door The Mending Hearts Series Tiffany Truitt Time To Write Toolkit Top Ten Toronto Romance Writers Trust Under The Lights USA TODAY HEA Waiting What Matters Who's Who Wednesday Word Bank Writer's Block Writer's Brain Writing Writing And Baseball Writing Community Writing Pal Writing Pals Writing Process YA